United States Post Office

The Tonopah Post Office, built in 1941, during a boom in Tonopah’s economy due to World War II was designed in a “Starved Classical” style typical of federal buildings of the era. The government began planning the post office in 1937, and its site was chosen in 1940. The building’s cornerstone was laid in May 1941 with a civic ceremony and parade marking the occasion. The post office opened for business on December 7, 1941, the same day as the attack on Pearl Harbor. In addition to serving as Tonopah’s post office, the building was also used to house government offices in its basement. The post office was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 28, 1990. The site was the former home of both the United Cattle and Packing Company and Tonopah Elks buildings. Tonopah residents receive their mail in post office boxes, making this building one of the most frequented buildings in Tonopah.

Click on an image to enlarge