State Bank and Trust Company Building

The State Bank and Trust Company Building is illustrative of the economic solidarity of early Tonopah and also attests to the often disastrous role of speculative mining investments during Southern Nevada’s boom years. The five-story structure was built by “Architect of Nevada” George Holesworth and opened for business in June 1907. Only four months after opening in Tonopah, the bank closed its doors permanently. By January 1908, the building was reoccupied and housed the elegant Nevada Club Saloon and the First National Bank of Nevada. Over the years, the building has become known as the Belvada as it was home to the Belvada Apartments, housing many members of the Army Air Forces and their families. After major renovations By Fred and Nancy Cline, it now houses the Belvada Hotel and Coffee Shop. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Click on an image to enlarge