Nye County Courthouse

The Nye County Courthouse is significant for its historic association with the role of government and politics in Tonopah and Nye County during the 20th century mining boom. It is also noteworthy as the largest stone structure built in Tonopah. During the height of mining and economic development in Nye County, both financial and political power had their centers in Tonopah. In 1905 Tasker Oddie, State Senator and future Governor and U.S. Senator for Nevada, introduced a bill in the Nevada legislature moving the county seat from Belmont to Tonopah. The bill passed easily. California architect J.C. Robertson submitted the winning bid of $27,965 and the new Nye County Courthouse was completed in the fall of 1906. By 1907 a two-story jail addition was built. Substantial single-story additions to the sides and rear of the building were added ca. 1968. It served as the Courthouse until 1996 and now houses community organizations.

Click on an image to enlarge