Mizpah Hotel and Brougher-Govan Block

The Brougher-Govan Block was built in 1905 and originally housed a bank. At the time, the Mizpah was a one-story wooden building housing a café and grill. Construction of the Mizpah Hotel started in 1907 and was completed in 1908. By 1909, the second and third floors of the Brougher-Govan Block were annexed and converted to hotel rooms. The Mizpah Hotel was one of the first luxury hotels in all of Nevada serving as a social hub for the booming mining town. Built for $200,000 with solid granite walls, leaded glass windows, and Victorian era appointments, the hotel featured solid oak furniture, hot and cold running water, steam heat, brass chandeliers, stained glass windows, and the first electric elevator west of the Mississippi. The design was led by renowned architect Morrin J. Curtis. At five stories, it was also the tallest building in Nevada at the time. The hotel closed in 1999 until 2011 when Fred & Nancy Cline purchased and restored the hotel to its original grandeur and glory. It is now home to a hotel, restaurants, meeting rooms, a bar, and many famous ghosts, including the Lady in Red. The Mizpah Hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Click on an image to enlarge