Fire House and Gymnasium

Tonopah had its first major fire in May 1904 during which Tonopah’s volunteer fire department proved ineffective. The Fire House was built in 1907 and 1908 in the center of town. Despite the addition of paid firefighters, adequate fire protection was never achieved. Major fires in 1908 and 1912 caused heavy losses in Tonopah. The firehouse was damaged by a fire in 1920 and restored to its present condition. Today, it houses the Tonopah Public Utilities maintenance shop.

Click on an image to enlarge